Home Forum Show it off! New lathe

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Paul Kelly 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Paul Kelly
    Participant

So the old lathe has gone to a new home. Bye bye old lathe it’s been a good 12 years….
    To recap, when I bought her, she looked like this:

12 years and countless rebuilds and modifications later, she looked like this:

I had previously owned an Al330 which is still alive and kicking:
    http://ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3126&hilit=cnc

BTW I reckon the AL300 series are the perfect beginners lathe. They’re just big enough to be forgiving of small mistakes. You have to be quite a good machinist to operate a tiny lathe…

So I went out and bought one of these:

I didn’t get the gearbox variant because there’s almost no chance that the thing won’t end up with a stepper driving Z. If you are not going to CNC your lathe, DO NOT get one without two drive shafts running across the front of the machine (the one I bought has only 1).
    a: Pulling gears on and off every time you want to cut a different thread pitch or change your power feed rate gets old very fast.
    b: With only one shaft and threading and feeding to achieve you’ll find a shaft length keyway cut in the lead screw. When the half nuts aren’t engaged, this keyway spins a collar which does power feed. When the half nuts are engaged, this keyway quickly chews them out.

So, we get the thing home (I’d say a big thanks to Kev for the loan of his van and engine hoist, but he’s FIFO so I think the plan is to just not tell him) and so far (with the help of Doug and Mike) we have it unboxed, dollied around the back, down the ski ramp of death to the shed and up, onto the bench…

These things start to look a lot smaller when you take all the tin work off them.

So I need to make some spacers to go under the tray, while I wait for the hardware stores to open, I thought I might as well start modifying the machine. It’s never too early right?

So here you can see I’ve installed the glass scales for the DRO.
    Draw angles on the bed casting mean that I’ll need to square it up and cast epoxy beds for the ends in place, but its at least on…

Already ordered is the 2HP motor upgrade (it comes with a 1HP single phase jobbie) and a VFD to suit..

More soon.

Andrew-MOAMind
    Participant

Nope never too early!
    I’ll be watching this thread closely, it looks like a nice size machine to do a conversion on and I’m keen to see how you go about it. Although it looks a mite deadly without that chuck guard….

Have you ever seen a DIY automatic tool changer for one of these machines? Probably a long way down the road for this machine but it seems like an interesting challenge.

Paul Kelly
    Participant

Andrew-MOAMind, post: 3150, member: 29 wrote: Nope never too early!
    I’ll be watching this thread closely, it looks like a nice size machine to do a conversion on and I’m keen to see how you go about it. Although it looks a mite deadly without that chuck guard….

Just ask a man to hold your hand when you use it..

Have you ever seen a DIY automatic tool changer for one of these machines? Probably a long way down the road for this machine but it seems like an interesting challenge.

Here’s one I (almost) prepared earlier:
    http://www.caswa.com/cncathome/latheturret.html
    nb, I’m slowly getting the old site back online

Andrew-MOAMind
    Participant

Paul Kelly, post: 3151, member: 25 wrote: Just ask a man to hold your hand when you use it..

The foresight the Hare & Forbes used when wiring up those chuck cover switches has always amused me. I wonder how many phone calls from customers asking how to bypass them they had to field before wiring them up so that the lathes would still work properly with the covers removed completely and the wires just disconnected.

andrewM
    Participant

Had a look at your CASWA website and curious to read about computer assisted surgery. My wife looks at orthopaedic implants at the end of their life cycle to identify the cause of failure.

andrewM
    Participant

Watched your amcom vid as well..I’m impressed!

Paul Kelly
    Participant

andrewM, post: 3153, member: 26 wrote: My wife looks at orthopaedic implants at the end of their life cycle to identify the cause of failure.

We’ve certainly seen a few of them fail. We still have the largest database of total knee replacements, pre-op, post op, alignment, you name it. The demographics of joint replacement mean that its getting whittled down by mortality, however,when I last checked we still had >1000 living patients being tracked.

Paul Kelly
    Participant

andrewM, post: 3154, member: 26 wrote: Watched your amcom vid as well..I’m impressed!

🙂 TA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.