Home Forum General Chat Introductions New intro duck tion

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Nick Witham 5 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Creepyjoe

Hallo,
    My name is Paul, but I’ve been using the handle CreepyJoe on forums for years, it’s a hard habit to kick!

Anyway I’m slowly getting together my own workshop, I’ve just repurposed a 6×3 shed from elsewhere on my block and given it a proper foundation, weather proofed it and soon will make a set of steel bifold doors to cover the 2m gap where the flimsy sliding one used to be.

Then I will use my makeshift crane made from engine hoist and electric ebay winch to lower down my sieg m6 combo lathe mill (and my horizontal 6×4 bandsaw) from the second storey of my pole house. Because I’ve been kicked out of my spare bedroom you see. It’ll be fun! Just stand back!

Umm.. I made a bunnings quadcopter recently, it’s heaps stronger than those flimsy red and white plastic ones, I made it to be easy to fix but I haven’t had to fix it yet. The extra weight smoothed out the control loop issues I was having too.

I want to make my first cnc router soon after the workshop is sorted, I have a gecko 540 and steppers, but need to settle on a design, space has been an issue in the past but less so now. Preferably I want it to be able to cut Alu to reasonable accuracy. Maybe a quarter sheet size 600×1200

I did my mechatronics engineering thesis on chatter detection and mitigation on a small low-cost lathe, I used an arduino to do Fourier transform on the vibrations picked up by a electret mic and a mems accelerometer, then I simply made a more sturdy tool post mount and compared results.

I’m into photography too, here is a picture of a duck I took.

Anyway, it’s good to see a local forums with people of similar interests, I’m based 40 mins south of Perth these days.

Cheerio!

Dwayne
    Dwayne
    Participant

Hey Joe, welcome!!! Any chance we can see this quad-copter mate??

Creepyjoe

Sure, it’s just 20mm Alu square tube and 7mm ply.

Also hoisted my 4×6 horizontal bandsaw down on the weekend to make my steel bifold doors but discovered it doesn’t cut straight and also I’m a terrible welder.

Paul Kelly
    Participant

When my 4×6 doesn’t cut straight I just replace the guide bearings. Sorts it every time.

PK

Creepyjoe

Hmm well it hasn’t seen a lot of use so I wouldn’t think it would be wear related but I’ll have a look at the guide rollers. I was thinking I might have dulled the teeth on one side causing it to drift maybe. Too late for the doors anyway, I’ve already cut over 20 lengths of steel.

Nick Witham

Well Joe, You live up to your name, CreepyJoe.
    I too have built a bunnings quad, aluminium arms, bunnings bolts etc etc…
    I too am designing/building a CNC mill, roughly 600×1100. Gecko G540, 387oz-in steppers etc etc….
    I used to live in Kelmscott, but now relocated to port Hedland for work, so you must have been close to Kelmscott being 40mins south of Perth.

Are we the same person? I have never seen us in the same spot before, so maybe?

Creepyjoe

Well you just don’t know these days with all this quantum physics Schrödinger’s cat crazyness going, we may be quantum entangled.

But it runs deeper, not only did you live in kelmscott which is a small offset from my current residence but I often work up in karratha, which is small offset from your place of work (relatively speaking given the large distances in between).

I’m sure there does exist some quite pronounced differences between us though, which perhaps we can discuss over a beer when we’re next colocated. At the risk of merging completely of course.

P.s I have also tandem skydived

Nick Witham

this really is creepy.
    I do love beer (surprise surprise), so as long as the universe doesn’t get turned inside out, im sure it would be great!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.