Home Forum Show it off! Lathe bench from salvaged steel

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Paul Kelly 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Creepyjoe

Hallo
    My lathe bench I’m making from salvaged steel is progressing well.

Design parameters are:
    – must provide support to my 10×22 desktop lathe with milling attachment.
    – must be able to be disassembled for transport with the top functioning as a transport pallet for the lathe with lifting points
    – must allow lathe bed twist to be shimmed or otherwise adjusted out
    – must provide solid support on uneven ground
    – must be fun to build!

The main element is a 150mm I-beam, the legs are bolted 100mm x8mm angle. It has a support finger for the foot of the milling attachment.

I had hoped to get away without cross braces due to the large dimensions of the main elements, but alas it was not to be, it flopped around like a wet noodle before adding the braces.

The feet are M22 nuts welded on with bolts threaded in to provide leveling.

My current table is made from Mdf and 25×50 rhs and when I try to adjust out lathe bed twist it just makes a wave in the Mdf top. This should be a big improvment.

Next step on this is to weld bracing to tie the flanges of the I-beam together so that the lathe can’t flop about the webbing plate an to stiffen the top against twist moments.

Pic is attached.
    Edit: oh sorry I can’t upload the pic from my phone because I don’t have a way to shrink it to below 1Megabyte
    Edit 2: Image uploaded

Paul Kelly
    Participant

Looks appropriately solid.. Proper job!
    PK

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.