Home Forum Show it off! Laser brain transplant

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Paul Kelly 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Paul Kelly
    Participant

As I mentioned in this thread http://www.westcoastmakers.com/threads/a-laser-for-the-space.80/page-2 a little while ago we purchased a cheap laser engraver, a bit like this one
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40W-CO2-LASER-HIGH-PRECISE-ENGRAVING-ENGRAVER-CUTTING-MACHINE-SUPPORT-CORELDRAW-/221342379783?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Printing_Equipment&hash=item338908af07

Although the best price we could get at the time was about $720 landed.

So why would we buy one of these when we already own a 120W DSP controlled laser cutter?

Well, one of the things we do is laser engrave serial numbers on our product. The CO2 laser does a good job of marking the glass filled nylon parts, but the software just doesn’t cut the mustard.

We have to take a stock file, manually delete, re-type, and reposition 6 serial numbers, save the file to a USB stick, load the file from the USB stick into the machine, then run the job. Probably takes 10-15 minutes to engrave 6 serial numbers. Oh, and then we make mistakes and it just goes down hill. Do a batch of 250 units and the day is gone.

So we took this cheap unit, ripped it’s brains out, grafted a new brain in and we’re now pretty close to finishing it off.

[media=youtube]xP00tKoOlnU[/media]

Again a big thanks to Rob for chipping in the little stepper drives after I did the stupid thing and smoked the original ones!

PK

Rob
    Participant

Looking good Paul.

Does your controller accept gcode?

If you want a hand, writing the software to get it engraving a batch of serial numbers. Let me know.

Paul Kelly
    Participant

The controller takes a bitmap sent serially and raster engraves it. The PC software generates a set of these bitmaps each with it’s own serial number. The advantage of doing it this way is you can add graphics or use any font on the computer. This would be hard/time consuming to implement on the micro controller.

PK

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.