Home Forum The Makers Workshop Open Projects Got an idea

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Andrew-MOAMind 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Grunt

Hi, I’m a maker from Wollongong just moved to Perth. I’m living in a backpackers hostel and want to build an earplug dispensing machine that responds to $1 going into a little safe. I can do the programming (arduino) and electronics, can anyone help with the physical system?

Grunt

Can anyone solder or weld metal divisions (tin, scrap something) to bicycle chain? Put that on axles in an acrylic box and I’ll drive it around with a stepper motor…

Clarky
    Participant

Before you get too far into the design you should think about how you’re going to validate the coins. I though about making a little vending machine for fundraiser chocolates so people don’t just nick them at work. I think a mechanical system like those lolly dispensers would be best but finding them could be a challenge. The other thing that needs consideration is the material of the bike chain and what you’re attaching it to. Not all metals can easily be soldered or welded together. What are you attaching to it anyway? It’s not normally something that is modified like that.

Google some pictures of ear plug dispensers to have a look at existing designs. They are usually gravity fed and are released by twisting a knob back and forth. Unfortunately these aren’t 100% reliable so maybe adding a capacitive sensor would help resolve this.

Anonymous

Clarky, post: 1324, member: 656 wrote: Before you get too far into the design you should think about how you’re going to validate the coins.

That bit is actually rather easy… No point trying to make one at the price you can buy one.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=Coin+Acceptor&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Clarky
    Participant

I was actually thinking of buying it but haven’t had much luck sourcing one, let alone Australian. I’ve tried many other key words but it looks like “acceptor” is the one to use!

Andrew-MOAMind
    Participant

There are existing dispensers for ear plugs. Not Coin OP but they could possibly be modified with a servo or something similar. You could try a few safety/hardware shops

Atom supply & RSEA are two that come to mind. At the very least having a look at one could give you an idea on how to build a dispensing system that is less likely to jam and accurately dispense the ear plugs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.