Home Forum The Makers Workshop CNC talk FirePick

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Andrew-MOAMind 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Buzzard

Paul Kelly
    Participant

Oh dear!
    PK

Andrew-MOAMind
    Participant

I am keen to see how well it does with small chips 0403, TQFPs etc. That is about the only place where i can see it being valuable. Otherwise i think you would probably still be better off with a vacuum pen or a set of tweezers. Unless of course you had it set up to produce 100+ boards in which case it would probably be easier just to get them made in china.

The reality is, they will probably get a trip to space or at least 10k out of it.

Paul Kelly
    Participant

Yeah, the thing everyone gets wrong about pick and place setups is that the bit doing the picking and placing is of no consequence. It’s all about the feeders. Holding short strips of components, programming their locations as well as a board setup, for less than 20 boards is pretty much a waste of time.
    We still buy some components as cut tape (ie the expensive ones we don’t use many of) and put them through the PnP machines, but we never buy anything in less than QTY 100.
    You’re much better off with an assisted manual setup. Not just a hand held vac pen mind you. that’s nuts….
    PK

Andrew-MOAMind
    Participant

Turns out they didnt even get the $10k prizes. For once this appears to be something other than a popularity contest.

It looks as though they have put a moderate ammount of effort into feeders with ideas about advancing and being able to remove feeder groups. However it is still a problem that doesn’t really need solving.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.