Home Forum The Makers Workshop 3D Print talk Fillaments

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of parkview parkview 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DrPhil
    DrPhil

Do we have any local suppliers for ABS or PLA?

Came accross these projects too:
    http://www.filastruder.com/products/filastruder-kit
    http://www.filabot.com/
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1622873957/the-fastest-filament-extrusion-bot-makes-abs-pla-i

Filastruder seems to be the more popular… anyone got a bead on PLA/ABS/NYLON mastermix?
    If WCM finally gets a “home” be a nice addition to have!

Dwayne
    Dwayne
    Participant

We had a guy come down to the last maker meetup with some of the filament made using a filastruder!
    It seemed ok, I have a piece at home i need to test with!!

Profile photo of DrPhil
    DrPhil

Yep, filastruder looks the way to go! The others don’t seem to have any “draw” control and make me a bit apprehensive in regards to diameter consistency.

And my plans for constructing the i3 died again… looks to be Thrs NEXT week! Geeze, I got parts from HK delivered ALREADY. I don’t getddit. 4d HK, 14d QLD….

But does anyone have any LOCAL abs/pla suppliers?

Profile photo of Buzzard
    Buzzard

Most of the local Injection molding companies carry abs pellets, but they don’t seem to be too interested in selling small quantities (even 25kg bags) to hobby type guys. I haven’t found any PLA but I am sure its there somewhere.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/3380/australian-filastruder-users/ seems to have been swallowed up in the vacuum of time and space, pity.

I am half thinking about shipping down a tonne, but still working on the math for it 🙁

I would be happy to get a 25kg sample shipped down and then flog that off in kilo lots for “testing” purposes.

It would be around $20 a kilo (yeah yeah, I know, but not much less than cost as the airfreight kills it).

I wouldn’t bring down masters or anything so just a single color.

If that 25 kilos went OK, I would reconsider the tonne. That should bring the price of pellets under $10 a kilo for Filastruder users.

Looking for expressions of interest.

Profile photo of DrPhil
    DrPhil

If we had like a communal space id be happy to pitch in on a filastruder kit for the community.

A bit apprehensive tho cos as you said pellets are a bitch to get.

But this allows potentially the possib for new matetials to be played with.

Profile photo of Paul Kelly
    Paul Kelly
    Participant

Wouldn’t you be better off all chipping in to build a decent extruder (ie not a hardware store special). throw in a extra few hundred each and get that ton of plastic.

PK

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Rolls of filament are becoming cheaper, now down to $30 free postage.
    How long does it take to make a roll 8+ hours…..is it worth it !!!

Profile photo of DrPhil
    DrPhil

Well as I said PK I’m in, just getting in the plastic stuff. Mind you you can also shred recycleables.
    Filastruder’s one of the fastest but you’re talking in the realm of at least 30-50% off, plus direct quality control.

Profile photo of Buzzard
    Buzzard

OK, the math is in 🙂

I have been busy sending emails to suppliers and shipping agents and asking lots of questions so if anyone has a particular question feel free to ask.

Feel free to chip in any ideas/thoughts as well.

Most of this refers to ABS, we aren’t ignoring PLA, but one step at a time.

Getting plastic out of China is fairly easy, takes about 4 to 6 weeks and varies in price depending on how much you want to buy.

You can buy 25kg bags of ABS from Aliexpress at around $20 a kilo including airfreight. So while this should take less than two weeks, will take around four from experience. There are lots of sellers dealing it, they are not hard to find and payments are through Escrow so they tend to be OK to deal with.

For bulk shipments, Alibaba sellers start at 25kg and anything up from there. All amounts are supplied in 25kg bags.

25kg US$10 per kilo
    500 kg US$5-7 per kilo (varies by colour)
    1,000 kg US$2.7 per kilo
    20,000 kg US$2 per kilo

20,000kg is a 20 foot container. I am not sure how container fees work, but I don’t think it’s applicable in our case.

They all sell as FOB (Freight on board) which means they will deliver it to their local dock as part of the price. You need to then arrange to have the item shipped to Fremantle, cleared through the port and delivered to your door.

There are agencies that will attend to this for you. Their minimum LCL (Less than Container Load) shipping fee is AU$470 for a shipment the size of 1000kg of ABS pellets. (ie less than 1000kg will still cost you that much) This includes delivery to your door and port clearance fees, but does not include GST or other import duties.

Most companies require payment up front but Escrow is available for 5% from Alibaba.

All the sellers at 1000kg or more were willing to supply a 25kg sample at their stated rate plus air freight (US$190). Sellers less that 1000kg altered the rate for a sample to US$10+ a kilo.

One of the 500kg sellers is happy to mix colours (ie 6 bags black, 6 bags white and 2 each of green, yellow, red and blue). I am still waiting on a response from the 1000kg seller if they will provide different colours for the one shipment.

ABS grade was specified as PA-747.

Profile photo of -luckyphil-
    -luckyphil-

Buzzard, post: 2102, member: 31 wrote: OK, the math is in 🙂

I have been busy sending emails to suppliers and shipping agents and asking lots of questions so if anyone has a particular question feel free to ask.

Feel free to chip in any ideas/thoughts as well.

Most of this refers to ABS, we aren’t ignoring PLA, but one step at a time.

Getting plastic out of China is fairly easy, takes about 4 to 6 weeks and varies in price depending on how much you want to buy.

You can buy 25kg bags of ABS from Aliexpress at around $20 a kilo including airfreight. So while this should take less than two weeks, will take around four from experience. There are lots of sellers dealing it, they are not hard to find and payments are through Escrow so they tend to be OK to deal with.

For bulk shipments, Alibaba sellers start at 25kg and anything up from there. All amounts are supplied in 25kg bags.

25kg US$10 per kilo
    500 kg US$5-7 per kilo (varies by colour)
    1,000 kg US$2.7 per kilo
    20,000 kg US$2 per kilo

20,000kg is a 20 foot container. I am not sure how container fees work, but I don’t think it’s applicable in our case.

They all sell as FOB (Freight on board) which means they will deliver it to their local dock as part of the price. You need to then arrange to have the item shipped to Fremantle, cleared through the port and delivered to your door.

There are agencies that will attend to this for you. Their minimum LCL (Less than Container Load) shipping fee is AU$470 for a shipment the size of 1000kg of ABS pellets. (ie less than 1000kg will still cost you that much) This includes delivery to your door and port clearance fees, but does not include GST or other import duties.

Most companies require payment up front but Escrow is available for 5% from Alibaba.

All the sellers at 1000kg or more were willing to supply a 25kg sample at their stated rate plus air freight (US$190). Sellers less that 1000kg altered the rate for a sample to US$10+ a kilo.

One of the 500kg sellers is happy to mix colours (ie 6 bags black, 6 bags white and 2 each of green, yellow, red and blue). I am still waiting on a response from the 1000kg seller if they will provide different colours for the one shipment.

ABS grade was specified as PA-747.

Hey guys,

I’m wading in pretty late here sorry.

I’m the guy with the filastruder. I’ve been off production with a new addition to the family and new job.

If anyone is getting a run on ABS or PLA locally then I’d be a definite buyer.

Also cracked a bug bear… cue dramatic music… HDPE (milk bottles) and getting them intoa small enough size to have a filastruder process it into filament.

I”ve found a cross cut paper shredder that will bring it down to a 40mm by 4mm particulate.

Next step is to filament-ise and hand out for testing.

But yes if there is PLA or ABS from a local supplier then I’m in.

Profile photo of Buzzard
    Buzzard

I’m getting some samples sent down hopefully this week. Would you like to test some?

-luckyphil-

Hey Buzzard.
    Sure thing.
    Put it up or pm me when it gets here and we can work out timing.
    Cheers
    LP

Profile photo of Buzzard
    Buzzard

Sure thing.

As a further note to above, it has since transpired that the different color granules are actually only Masterbatch, not coloured ABS 🙁

There are companies that supply Masterbatch, and companies that supply ABS/PLA granules but I am yet to find one that does both.

I have found a Masterbatch supplier who is OK with acquiring a tonne of ABS granules and packing their Masterbatch on top of that and shipping them together. So at this stage I am dealing with them.

They are sending 1kg of green Masterbatch and 2 kg ABS granules for testing by air (at huge cost, but you get that).

Masterbatch is mixed with the “natural” ABS pellets at a rate of 5% by weight. Apparently random theory does not affect the color consistency (You just mix the granules by hand and they will feed in at the correct rate), but I find that a bit hard to swallow.

My extruder should be functional at the end of the week, so if you want to test some let me know now so that I can adjust the ABS quantity. Do not request samples unless you have an extruder and can test the filament pretty much straight away.

The ABS is PA-747 grade, and the Masterbatch is specified for an ABS carrier (its a different one for PLA).

If it works out OK, I’ll pull the trigger on a one tonne shipment with 150 kgs of various Masterbatches. Colors at this stage are Pantone Black, White, Green,Yellow,Red and Blue 072. Chirp in if you think that they should be different.

Profile photo of Trevor Harrington
    Trevor Harrington
    Participant

DrPhil, post: 2075, member: 659 wrote: Do we have any local suppliers for ABS or PLA?

Came accross these projects too:
    http://www.filastruder.com/products/filastruder-kit
    http://www.filabot.com/
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1622873957/the-fastest-filament-extrusion-bot-makes-abs-pla-i

Filastruder seems to be the more popular… anyone got a bead on PLA/ABS/NYLON mastermix?
    If WCM finally gets a “home” be a nice addition to have!

Have you seen the Kickstart Strooder looks interesting.

-luckyphil-

I have a few pigments if you want to have a look at those.
    So if testing goes ahead you might like playing with different types of colouring agents.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.