Home Forum Show it off! Drill sharpening

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Paul Kelly 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Paul Kelly
    Participant

Having realised that I’m never going to make the quorn tool and cutter grinder that I spent all that money on, I bought myself one of these for Christmas:

The Drill doctor is a mid range ‘home shop’ level device that has a bit of plastic in it, but only costs between $200-$400.
    In use, you poke the drill into a collet chuck arrangement and insert it into an alignment fixture (shown above).

You then tighten the collet clamp, pull the chuck out and poke it into the grinding fixture.

A cam surface on the periphery of the chuck rides against that metal pin, changing the angle of the drill as you rotate it.

What you end up with is a smooth, continuously changing relief angle on the bit.

The model I got can do 118 and 135 degree tips and masonry bits too.
    It will sharpen a split point, but won’t grind one.

If you have as many drill bits to maintain as I do then I reckon that one of these is a pretty good deal.

Creepyjoe

Even lower on the price scale for this kind of thing was a plastic drill sharpening jig I got from bunnings which chucks into a drill chuck and has a couple small grinding wheels in it. Was about $30-40? and I thought was pretty good for the price, it had a few adjustments to do different types of drill bits. I’ll take a pic when I next dig it out of the shed.

Paul Kelly
    Participant

I know the ones. They have an inverse conical stone yes? How has the stone lasted?
    All of the cheaper drill sharpeners seem to be designed around custom consumables. Mine has a diamond grinding drum. No idea how many grinds I’ll get from it..

More info:
    I’ve sharpened a 1.5mm bit and it came out OK (not great, the web was a bit thick because the chuck struggled to clamp the drill on center.
    I’ve reground a snapped off half inch bit. I roughed it (with no care at all) on the bench grinder first. It came out nice and didn’t take long…
    The guy in the Drill Doctor videos (you may remember him from other videos such as..) gives a spiel about the unit paying for itself in drill bits brought back from the dead…. It’ll need to last a while to do that. But I’ve left the unit set up in a corner and, watching a drill go blunt as you try to drill through something hard and just being able to quickly regrind it as good as new and get back to the job is a VERY good thing…

Creepyjoe

True, actually on a similar note I’ve found that a very good way to make your hss Sutton drill bits look like ball end end mills is to use them to drill engineered stone kitchen top material!

Paul Kelly
    Participant

🙂 I once had to put about 50 holes into some of that stuff.

I used diamond coring bits. Even they would wear out after about 12 holes. Nasty, slow, business!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.